Thursday, February 26, 2009

Easy Tossed Salad and Ranch Dressing

Ok, so I know most of you can make a salad without a recipe, but for those of us that count calories, it takes a little more effort. I made this salad with some of my favorite ingredients, but you, of course, can change it to fit your tastes! I find it's much easier to make better food choices if they are convenient, so I like making a big salad and having it to snack on all week!


Easy Tossed Salad (135 calories total or 6 servings at 23 calories each)
10 leaves romaine lettuce (50 calories)
2 roma tomatoes (25 calories)
1/2 red bell pepper (15 calories)
1/2 yellow bell pepper (15 calories)
1 cucumber (30 calories)
- wash veggies
- cut veggies into bite sized pieces
- mix them all up in a big bowl
- top with your favorite cheese, salad dressing, and/or croutons
My favorite dressing is ranch... and it has to be homemade. So I buy the Hidden Valley Ranch mix and make it myself using lower calorie ingredients. I use light mayo which cuts the calories WAY down. You can also use fat free mayo for even fewer calories!
Homemade Ranch Dressing (16 ounces - 775 calories total or 24 calories per tablespoon)
3 tablespoons ranch dressing mix (135 calories)
1 cup skim milk (80 calories)
1 cup light mayo (560 calories)
- mix all ingredients together and chill for 30 min. before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment