Thursday, February 12, 2009

Homemade biscuits

Kevin is actually the one that usually makes these, but this is what got me started on my baking kick. I never realized just how easy it was to make your own biscuits. I always cheated and bought the frozen ones at Walmart. My grandmother makes the BEST homemade buttermilk biscuits... but I haven't tried to duplicate those just yet. Got to have something to look forward to when I go home to visit! :)


makes 12 biscuits (1358 calories total/114 calories per biscuit)

2c flour (800 calories)
1/2c butter or margarine (400 calories) *I use light whiped butter*
3/4c milk (68 calories)
1tbsp baking powder (0)
pinch salt (0)
2tbsp sugar (90 calories) *you CAN use splenda for 0 calories!*


(calories are based on the brands of ingredients I use and may not always be the same)

-combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, sugar) in a large bowl.
-add butter and milk. stir until dough forms.
-place the dough on a flat surface that has been dusted with flour.
-knead the dough slighty (not too much though).
-roll out dough to about 1/2 t0 3/4 inch thickness. try to roll it out big enough to cut as close to 12 biscuits as possible. the more you roll the dough, the less fluffy it gets. also, you must cover your rolling pin with flour or it will stick to the dough.
-preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-use a round cookie cutter or anything else you have that might work (about 2-3 inches in diameter) and cut the dough.
-place cut biscuits on a greased baking sheet.
-cook for about 18-20 minutes (depends on your oven)
-EAT!

I usually eat mine with a little butter and nothing else. Kevin likes his with jelly or honey. If we are making a meal out of them, we might have some tomato gravy or pretty much anything else you think might taste good on a nice warm biscuit!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment